Frideld: When and how did you discover your passion for voice acting? And when did you decide to specifically become a VA?
- Pixie Willow: Way back when I was roughly 17 I wanted to perform and had started looking into different routes I could take in entertainment. Given my circumstances at the time, having an at-home recording area was my best bet (as well as a few public performance and entertainment jobs through freelancing). It was only once I had begun dabbling in VO, I discovered how much I loved it and how much of a burning desire I have for it. I haven’t turned back since.
F: Did you do SFW work before diving into adult voice acting?
- PW: I did! I had a year in SFW before diving into adult themed work. In hindsight, I do wish I had taken more time to adjust and learn in SFW before diving so deep… but considering where I am now and all of the things I’ve learned these past few years before the scene became as big as it is. I don’t regret a thing.
F: Are there other VA’s or voiceover artists that you admire, be them SFW or NSFW?
- PW: Tonnes. I wouldn’t be able to list them all.
F: Did you get any sort of formal training as a VA? If so, what was it and how did it contribute to your current level of quality?
- PW: Formal training, no. A lot of what I do has been self-taught and taught by my close peers and work partners through the years. It’s been one hell of a ride! I unfortunately didn’t have the opportunity or finances to go to performance/acting school once I was in a position to be physically able to, so right now I’m putting aside to get some more dedicated vocal coaching and proper classes in (even if I don’t end up with a fancy piece of paper from it, the knowledge and experience is what’s truly valuable).
F: It sure is. Also, you do your own mixing and sound editing, right? Which software do you like for audio editing?
- PW: Audition. All the way. It’s such a fantastic piece of software with so much versatility!
F: And what’s your setup for recording?
- PW: Right now it’s a little janky as I recently moved home. I’m using a make-shift booth whilst my studio space downstairs is under construction. Once that’s done I’ll have a fully dedicated, professional recording space again!
F: Do you have a warm up routine or some sort of technique that helps you get into character before you record your lines?
- PW: I usually have some time in the morning. I give myself about 30 minutes of solid vocal warm-up after drinking a little too much tea- if there’s such a thing. Getting into character is a little different. I might spend some time warming up to their voice and getting into their head space. It’s hard to describe becoming another person… but that’s pretty much it, haha!
F: Sounds like quite a peculiar experience. Is there any particular character or character type that’s your favourite for voicing?
- PW: I’m not sure if I have a particular character or character type that’s my solid favourite, I think I much prefer performing a variety of characters as it keeps me on my toes and keeps me well practiced!
F: You have a beautiful girl character as your avatar. From where did you get the inspiration for her design?
- PW: Thank you! My mascot is actually built around my favourite colour palette (and a particular candy I used to adore). Mute colours and pastels, as well as monochromes are super cute.
F: What’s your favourite and least favourite thing about being an adult voice actress? Is there anything about the industry in general that you wish was different?
- PW: My favourite thing about NSFW VO is (just like with SFW VO) is seeing that final product and watching it come to life. There’s something so satisfying about watching everything come together. All the artists, developers, animators, actors, sound designers, directors, video editors… we all work very hard behind the scenes so it pays off once everything is put together!
I think the stigma that “NSFW VO isn’t real VO” is a serious problem, but there’s a lot happening to change that. It may take time, but I think it will be worth it!
F: Can you tell us something about upcoming projects? What will we hear from you next?
- PW: Oh goodness me that’s a loaded question. I pretty much never stop working on projects, so there’s always a lot going on (and a lot of it is hush hush!). I can promise you that there’s much more to come.
F: Okay, so we will stay in tune! What advice do you have for people who might be interested in becoming an adult VA, either from the start or transitioning from SFW voice acting?
- PW: Both I would have very different answers to (and it also varies depending on whether the person is approaching as a hobbyist or for a job).
I would always suggest for a new-start looking at NSFW VA (for paid work) to start in SFW instead. NSFW is not a good place to start considering the excessive vocal strain and potential damage it can cause.
Someone who’s transitioning? Please continue to use polite conduct like you’d expect in SFW circles and make sure you continue to rock those clients’ world with your performances and quality! Silky Milk and I have written a small guide for a quick rundown of what to expect on this side of the industry, so if you ever would like a copy let us know.
F: I’ll bear it in mind! As final words, what would you like our readers to know about you and your work? And how can they support you?
- PW: I’ve had such a blessing to have had all of the support for my VO work these past 6 years. I went full-time last year, so literally anything helps to keep me shining and fighting through even the toughest days. Whether that be a comment, like, tweet, reviews on the projects I’ve worked in, or even just popping your head into my Discord server to say hi. It’s all appreciated.
If you want to follow me and check out some of the recent releases I’ve worked in you should check out https://www.twitter.com/_PixieWillow, if you want to splurge some pennies on exclusive content you can head over to https://www.patreon.com/PixieWillow, if you want you hire me directly you can always pop over to https://www.pixiewillow.carrd.co/ for more information, and if you’re a project manager looking for more professional talent and casting services please head over to https://www.twitter.com/JuicyBCasting. I do hope to see you around!
I don’t have the words to express how much it all means.
And thank you for having me! It’s been a pleasure!
F: The pleasure is all mine!